Limitation is criticism that leads to innovation
The group of children with sharp memory who can achieve big if trained, but are deprived of learning and education; they heard about a school opening in the village who not only teaches but gives chocolates on daily basis. Excited to attend school, to experience education; but Alas! They were restricted and the door of the school remained closed permanently. Did NGO fail again?
The time, when government and the society fail to deliver ensured human rights, people or an individual with the understanding of the matter, experience and observation, and the determination of contributing to the society join in setting up an agenda and that’s how NGOs are born.
The real scenario!
Remember how in your class when you knew the answer asked by your teacher but couldn’t stand up and answer because there were a bunch of classmates demotivating you? or maybe you were not confident enough?
Criticism and problems will never leave your back, no matter what you do or where you go, if you are in the process of being changed or making change for others you have your back filled with it.
Same is the case of Ngo’s, the Nonprofit organization, that aims and focus towards substantial development of each creature, driving through its propaganda, on both small and large-scale development is also the dupe in the loop of criticism limitations and problems!
Before we go into the depth of problems let’s just see the focus of NGOs:
- Service provision to the poor
- Building capacities of people and people’s institutions
- Enabling the poor and marginalized to have voices
- Addressing humanitarian need in emergency
- Acting as a watchdog on government and corporates
The real challenge:
- Lack of fund – collecting sufficient funds for running up the agendas is a big-time issue for the NGOs these days. Gaining access to appropriate donors is a major component of this challenge. Shifting of the current donor or withdrawing the fund result directly in lack of project, organizational and financial sustainability.
- Prejudice Mindset – if 10 NGOs open 10 schools in 10 villages with the target of 100 kids per school, the possibility Is they end up getting 20 students across all these schools. Why? Because changing the behavior and mindset of the target population is one of the major problem and challenge faced by the NGOs and the prejudice set of minds dominates them not to think beyond the boundaries.
- Inequality in rural areas – 64% of Indian population is on the rural side of the country with the problems ranging from sanitation to education. Irrespective of the fact NGOs are attracted more towards the urban side of the country and hence the rural people are not treated with the utmost necessity.
- Unrealistic perception – Yes, the NGOs are the game changers that aim to change the current world scenario of the system with their motives and Agendas. That’s what the ‘internet’ says because probably the small NGOs are not mentioned, but if we assess the grass root level and go in depth with the small organizations, theses NGOs have a confined group of people with an average Infrastructure and amenities. People expecting from them and their deliverable hence act as an invasion between vision and work.
- Less support from govt bodies – the Government often coin the NGOs on lacking transparency and accountability, setting up guidelines for them very often that sometimes hinders the free flow of work.
- Lack of social acceptance –the NGO named Goonj, who redo the old cloth in new, making clothes and uniforms for the underprivileged children. They once shared on their Facebook profile, how people are sending blood and urine stained clothes to them in the name of donation. This could be the highest level of social unacceptance one could show towards Ngo.
Can we help in solving?
It is imperative for every one of us to understand that NGOs are not an extra -ordinary associations with profound pockets and reach depth. They are battling associations every day seeing the ruthless reality looked by their recipients and attempting their best to help them. We ought to exclusively figure how we can contribute our chance, judgment, space, and money to help them and contribute a bit of us enhancing the current world scenario creating a healthy and sustainable environment for all.